This is our first stop in Ireland. I can see why Ireland is called the Emerald Isle. It is just so beautiful. Mile after mile of lime green pasture lands and forest green trees.
The history of this country is marked with fights between the Protestants and the Catholics. It just depended on who controlled the country at the time that decided which one was right.
While shopping in Kinsale we found out about Claddagh rings. There are several stories about their origin but they all agree that a young man from Claddagh designed the rings. The ring has a heart in the middle, a hand on each side of the heart, and a crown on top of the heart. Dennis bought me one. I love it.
Five miles from Cork City is the Blarney Castle. I stood in line for a hour and a half with a lot of other people for my chance to kiss the Blarney Stone. In order to do this a person has to climb up about 150 stairs in the castle, lean over backwards, and then being lowered down so you can reach the stone. Did I forget to say that you can see the ground below in that position?
I must admit that I didn't feel any different afterwards. The stone is suppose to bestow the 'gift of eloquence' to those who kiss it. It was fun and now I can say that I did it.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Day 6 - Cork, Ireland
Posted by The Zobells at 11:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment